Global Drug Database
Build Your System’s Foundation with Multinational Drug Information, Tailored to Your Region
The Global Drug Database (GDD) is an extensive library of commercially available drug products from multiple countries. The GDD includes a wide-ranging listing of specific dosage forms and strengths for drug products from around the world. It provides regional representations of generic names and brands, allowing products to be presented to users in familiar terms. Used as the foundation of your integrated medication decision support system, the GDD can be mapped to various drug terminologies and serve as the backbone for clinical screening functions.
GDD packages are currently available or being developed for the following regions:
- Republic of Korea
- United Kingdom
What It Does for Your Business
- Provides an extensive drug terminology to support various medication-related clinical workflows, including:
- Medication prescribing / order entry
- Pharmacy dispensing
- Nurse-led dose administration
- Medication profiling on admissions
- Medication reconciliation
- Emergency department drug use
- Discharge medications prescribing / dispensing
- Provides connectivity to Wolters Kluwer Clinical Drug Information’s full suite of medication decision support solutions from Lexicomp and Medi-Span
- Supports interoperability within and outside of your organization, including national standards to support connectivity with national shared electronic health records and national reimbursement schemes
- Simplifies the process of generic product substitutions
- Helps you reduce redevelopment costs by implementing a single drug platform that can be used around the world
What It Provides
- Product names, dose form, route of administration, strength, ingredients
- LOCAL INFORMATION: Regional-specific products, local brand names, generic naming conventions, and drug attributes, such as spelling and supply restrictions (local information may vary depending on the region)
- Drug name concepts at multiple levels of specificity to support clinicians at different stages in their workflow
- The World Health Organization's Anatomic Therapeutic Chemical Classification (WHO ATC) international identifier
- Proprietary Medi-Span Therapeutic Classification System and proprietary drug identifiers, including Generic Product Identifier (GPI) and Global Drug Database Identifier (GDDID)
- Use in conjunction with a Specific Customer File to map the GDDID to your institution’s proprietary identifiers
- Data Definition Language (DDL) and loading scripts to facilitate table creation during development, supporting a variety of different database platforms
- Detailed active ingredient level data
- Structured drug terminology with concept relationships and metadata designed to allow intelligent inference logic by clinical systems
- The ability to access Medi-Span clinical screening content, which can help you enhance patient care and reduce medication errors through the identification of potential drug allergy, duplications in therapy, drug-drug interactions, verification of dosing, and other key clinical parameters
Delivery and Required Solutions
- Flat File: Global Drug Database
Need more information?
Call us at 855.633.0577 or fill out our online form and we'll have someone contact you!
of customers are satisfied with the quality of Medi-Span data
of customers are likely to renew their Medi-Span data license
Hundreds of customers see 50% or greater increase in productivity with Medi-Span
See why more healthcare businesses are choosing Medi-Span for their drug data:
Speed to Market
Medi-Span implementation support helped save me one month in speed to market and about $10,000 in development costs.
Medi-Span, in my view, beats everyone else. It helps you find twice as many drug errors – errors that would lead to readmission - in half the amount of time.
(Medi-Span) allows us to provide features that our competitors do not have.
As a claims processor, we rely on Medi-Span and its wealth of drug information to forecast and price claims for our clients. Medi-Span is the go-to (application) that is recognized across the industry for (manufacturer-provided) drug information. They have innovative tools and excellent customer service that will go above and beyond to provide the best available solution.
Medi-Span implementation support helped save me one month in speed to market and about $10,000 in development costs.”
Consistent Pricing Data
It is the source for the benchmark prices consistently used in the PBM industry and the tool we use to hold PBMs accountable to their pricing promises to our employers.
Business cannot survive without Medi-Span data.
Only reliable published resource for (manufacturer-provided) AWP. (Medi-Span proprietary) GPI is therapeutic classification system of choice. It is very enabling, as clinical management rules are easily articulated.
Even in an era where data abounds, there is a terrific amount of uncertainty. People want confidence that what they are seeing is (based on) real (manufacturer-provided information) – Medi-Span provides that confidence.
(Medi-Span) allows for consistency across the company, industry and clients.
Timely and Relevant
The Medi-Span database allows our system to have the latest and most current information available. It is especially needed for package information, interaction checking, and clinical printing.
This is a foundational piece that is used throughout the organization in many systems and is often used to connect data from multiple systems.
Who is Clinical Drug Information?
With the move to team-based care, conflicting data can lead to actual conflicts – from disparity in business decisions to confusion in communication. We research, validate, and synthesize content to show the right data to right people at the right time. With content developed in a consistent manner across all platforms and resources, your team receives aligned drug information no matter when or how they access it. This helps:
- Improve communication
- Reduce confusion
- Enhance patient care
Impacting thousands of healthcare organizations - see our storyPlay Video
How can our award-winning drug data help you?
Learn more about Medi-Span