Medi-Span® Generic Product Identifier (GPI)
A unique concept with a long-proven track record, the GPI is capable of identifying drug products by a hierarchical therapeutic classification system
Featuring 14 characters for a level of granularity unprecedented in the industry, the Medi-Span GPI allows you to group, sort, search, match, map, and screen.
How is the Medi-Span GPI used?
- Can group identical, similar (same ingredient, different "sigs"), or unique drugs for medication reconciliation
- Allows users to delve deeper into drug allergy considerations by going beyond ingredient to also take into account strength and route of administration
- Impacts the specificity of clinical screening by taking into account contraindications specific to dosage form or route of administration
- Supports formulary development and maintenance
- Maps to NDCs, UPCs, and HRIs to support interoperability and information exchange
- Enables automated NDC inclusion/exclusion without ongoing, routine maintenance
- Helps standardize drug lists to overcome problems created by different medication spellings and lexicons submitted from differing providers, pharmacies, and payers, simplifying comparisons
Why is the Medi-Span GPI unique?
Unlike other leading drug data solutions that assign drug products a static number, the GPI's characters mean something.
- 14-character value structure allows for the creation of complex drug lists with any level of granularity.
- It ties to the Medi-Span proprietary generic product packaging code to help with purchasing decisions.
- After decades of development, it is the standard within healthcare IT.
- Ongoing surveillance of industry data allows us to regularly update GPIs to reflect the changing healthcare landscape.
- Why Medi-Span?
- Content Areas
- Medi-Span Clinical API Suite
- Implementation & Support
Need more information?
Call us at 855.633.0577 or fill out our online form and we'll have someone contact you!
Learn more details about our GPI by downloading our full brochure!
So, what does this mean for you?
Simply put, specificity and speed.