Hazardous Drug Handling
Streamline USP <800> Compliance While Supporting Employee Health and Safety
Millions of healthcare workers are exposed to hazardous drugs every year, putting them at increased risk of health and reproductive issues. We provide a streamlined solution to help you identify these drugs in your system and content to help you protect workers from unwanted exposure and comply with USP <800> regulations for safe handling, storage, and more of hazardous drugs.
What It Does for Your Business
- Supports pursuit of compliance with USP <800> standards for safe procedures regarding handling of hazardous drugs, facilities controls, and more. Failure to comply with standards may result in fines for organizations and continued potential risk to healthcare workers and the environment
- Helps healthcare workers efficiently identify hazardous drugs within the workflow and where contact with these drugs can occur
- Supports safe working conditions for healthcare workers, helping you reduce risk of reproductive issues, impact to fetal development, organ damage, and cancer that can be caused by unwanted exposure to hazardous drugs
- Integrates directly into workflow, saving time and valuable resources
- Helps save time and resources by mapping USP-created HazRx® Dataset to Medi-Span proprietary identifiers, promoting interoperability and reducing the burden on your in-house staff
What It Provides
- Relevant drugs mapped from USP data to NDCs and flexible, usable Medi-Span identifiers
- Generic and brand names of hazardous drugs identified on the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) list
- Available dosage forms
- RxNorm identifiers and names
- References to the NIOSH tables for each drug
- Activity and formulation
- Flag to determine if a given hazardous drug handling activity qualifies for an assessment of risk vs handling the activity in accordance with USP <800>
- USP <800> handling and precaution information
- Ability to:
- Create indicators or flags for medications on the NIOSH list
- Display alerts and accompanying reference instructions for drugs recognized as hazardous by NIOSH
- Provide reference details on administration/dispensing, handling, storage, and more for NIOSH-listed drugs to help align with USP <800> standards
- Monthly updates of information received from USP
Delivery and Required Solutions
- API: Medi-Span Clinical Hazardous Drug Handling API
- Flat File: Hazardous Drug Handling File
- Core Drug Files
- Pricing & Reimbursement
- Drug Attributes
- Patient Education
- Patient Safety
- Clinical Screening
- Hazardous Drug Handling
- Data Analytics
- Medication Therapy Management
- Interchangeability & Biosimilars
- Integrated Reference
- All Databases
- All APIs
Need more information?
Call us at 855.633.0577 or fill out our online form and we'll have someone contact you!
of customers are satisfied with the quality of Medi-Span data
of customers are likely to renew their Medi-Span data license
Hundreds of customers see 50% or greater increase in productivity with Medi-Span
See why more healthcare businesses are choosing Medi-Span for their drug data:
Speed to Market
Medi-Span implementation support helped save me one month in speed to market and about $10,000 in development costs.
Medi-Span, in my view, beats everyone else. It helps you find twice as many drug errors – errors that would lead to readmission - in half the amount of time.
(Medi-Span) allows us to provide features that our competitors do not have.
As a claims processor, we rely on Medi-Span and its wealth of drug information to forecast and price claims for our clients. Medi-Span is the go-to (application) that is recognized across the industry for (manufacturer-provided) drug information. They have innovative tools and excellent customer service that will go above and beyond to provide the best available solution.
Medi-Span implementation support helped save me one month in speed to market and about $10,000 in development costs.”
Consistent Pricing Data
It is the source for the benchmark prices consistently used in the PBM industry and the tool we use to hold PBMs accountable to their pricing promises to our employers.
Business cannot survive without Medi-Span data.
Only reliable published resource for (manufacturer-provided) AWP. (Medi-Span proprietary) GPI is therapeutic classification system of choice. It is very enabling, as clinical management rules are easily articulated.
Even in an era where data abounds, there is a terrific amount of uncertainty. People want confidence that what they are seeing is (based on) real (manufacturer-provided information) – Medi-Span provides that confidence.
(Medi-Span) allows for consistency across the company, industry and clients.
Timely and Relevant
The Medi-Span database allows our system to have the latest and most current information available. It is especially needed for package information, interaction checking, and clinical printing.
This is a foundational piece that is used throughout the organization in many systems and is often used to connect data from multiple systems.
Who is Clinical Drug Information?
With the move to team-based care, conflicting data can lead to actual conflicts – from disparity in business decisions to confusion in communication. We research, validate, and synthesize content to show the right data to right people at the right time. With content developed in a consistent manner across all platforms and resources, your team receives aligned drug information no matter when or how they access it. This helps:
- Improve communication
- Reduce confusion
- Enhance patient care
Impacting thousands of healthcare organizations - see our storyPlay Video
How can our award-winning drug data help you?
Learn more about Medi-Span