Drug screening to help you reduce errors and enhance safety
Medication errors and adverse drug events are a concern for healthcare professionals around the world. No one is equipped to face the problem alone.
Medi-Span Clinical offers a customizable set of embedded clinical drug screening APIs and trusted drug content from Wolters Kluwer Health to help hospitals and health systems decrease medication errors, improve patient safety and reduce alert fatigue.
Why Medi-Span Clinical? Our Expertise
- Trusted by 140+ leading hospitals worldwide
- 98% of customers surveyed say they are satisfied with content1
- Content authored and edited by 150+ in-house specialists
- Majority of authors/editors have advanced training (PharmD or PhD) and extensive clinical experience, typically 10+ years
- Reviewed by 260+ expert consultants with specific subspecialty expertise
Need more information?
If you're looking to purchase on behalf of your organization, call us or fill out our online form and we'll have someone contact you!
855.633.0577 (US & Canada)
+1 330.650.6506 (International)
Focus: Global and Local
Globally Trusted, Localized Content
Hospitals worldwide recognize Wolters Kluwer Health as the global leader in clinical decision support solutions. More than 1.9 million clinicians in more than 190 countries rely on UpToDate®, our evidence-based clinical decision support tool.
Medi-Span Clinical is an essential component of our family of Clinical Effectiveness solutions. Its globally trusted content, developed through the coordinated efforts of our editorial teams of clinicians, helps medical professionals access new evidence as promptly as possible and reflects region-specific formulary requirements.
Medi-Span Clinical features:
- Multinational drug information to synthesize a global perspective of medication utilization and safety
- Clinical knowledge and feedback from our worldwide clinician partner network to reflect important dosage and practice distinctions from various regions
- International generic drug names and a wide variety of country-specific brand names
Reducing Medication Errors
Reducing Medication Errors, One Prescription at a Time
Our medication alerts, powered by evidence-based content, help remove the busy work of manually double-checking medication decisions. Instead, clinicians and pharmacists receive automated, in-line screening alerts to help prevent:
- Duplicate therapies
- Drug-drug interactions
- Drug allergy interactions
- And more!
- Adverse Drug Effects API
- Dose Screening and Drug Orders API
- Drug Allergy Mapping API
- Drug Allergy API
- Drug Disease Contraindications API
- Drug Indications API
- Drug Interactions API
- Duplicate Therapy API
- ICD-10-CA Disease Mapping API
- ICD-10-CM And ICD-10-PCS Mapping API
- Integrated Patient Education - Medication Leaflets API
- Morphine Equivalent Dosing API
- Pregnancy, Lactation, Age and Gender API
- Route Contraindications API
- SNOMED CT Disease Mapping API
- SNOMED CT Allergy + Ingredient Mapping API
Add to your solution: Integrated Patient Education available in 19 languages
Closing the Drug Information Gap in EMRs
Electronic medical records (EMRs) serve many different purposes within a hospital, but no EMR offers the kind of reliable, safe, and clinically relevant drug screening that doctors and pharmacists need to help them save time, focus on the patient, and feel confident in their prescribing decisions.
Built directly into the EMR, with alerts generated at the point of care within the workflow, Medi-Span Clinical helps fill this gap. Automated, in-line medication screening allows clinicians and pharmacists to prescribe and dispense drugs without needing to exit the EMR and access additional resources. Medi-Span Clinical provides relevant, evidence-based content hospitals trust.
Helping Your Organization Receive International Accreditation
Achieving recognition from prestigious healthcare societies demonstrates that your hospital or health system stands out for implementing advanced technology, streamlining services and processes, enhancing patient care, and promoting successful outcomes.
Medi-Span Clinical content and functionality has helped customers around the world receive accreditation from JCI, HIMSS, and other local accreditation bodies.
Our drug data, clinical screening capabilities, alert management functionality, and patient education options can help you pursue a variety of accreditation standards, including some pertaining to:
- Medication management and use
- Patient assessment
- Patient safety
- Access to care
- EMR integration
- Quality improvement
Addressing Alert Fatigue
Customize Settings and Reduce “Noise”
Clinicians rely on the alerts fired by their medication decision support systems to let them know when there might be a potential problem with an order. But if your system starts firing constantly, clinicians become overwhelmed by the crushing volume of alerts — many of them for minor issues, technicalities, and scenarios the clinician has already considered — and they simply begin to ignore the warnings.
This is called alert fatigue, and it can be dangerous to clinician morale and patient safety.
That’s why our team of experts helps you customize alert settings to remove unnecessary alerts and add context to existing alerts to make them more useful for clinicians and tailored to local or regional guidelines.
With the Medi-Span Clinical alert management solution, Command Center, your team can test and implement your settings to:
- Enhance the relevance of alerts
- Reduce alert fatigue and support clinician adoption of CPOE workflows
- Maintain and tailor alerts based on clinical knowledge and local/hospital guidelines
1 . Wolters Kluwer customer satisfaction survey, 2016